How To Keep Your Windows Looking New
If you’ve just had new windows installed, you want to do everything you can to keep them looking like new. Keeping your windows well-maintained and cleaned isn’t just a good idea for aesthetic purposes — it will also help your windows last longer.
How To Clean Your Windows
While you should always consult your window manufacturer’s cleaning instructions, there are a few general tips for window cleaning that are safe for all kinds of windows.
- Start with clean water and no soap. Using a soft cloth, gently rub the water over the glass, then wipe clean with a damp cloth. If your windows aren’t clean enough after this, add a very small amount of a mild detergent or dish soap to the water and repeat.
- For large windows, use a squeegee to remove the water from the surface of the glass.
- Clean the window screens with a vacuum and a soft brush attachment. For dirtier screens, remove them and gently rinse them with a hose.
- If vinyl frames or window tracks need to be cleaned, use the same mild cleanser and water mixture.
How Not To Clean Your Windows
Just as important as knowing how to clean your windows, is how not to clean your windows. Avoid these common mistakes so you don’t damage your new windows:
- Never use a power washer or high pressure spray. These can damage the window seals, and your windows may not be airtight or as watertight as before.
- Keep strong detergents and solvents away from your windows. These types of cleaners can weaken the protective coating on the glass and can even cause damage to the vinyl, wood or fibreglass portions of the windows.
- Avoid using WD-40 or oil-based lubricants. These can attract dirt and make your windows dirtier and more difficult to clean.
- Avoid using sharp tools around your windows. Sharp tools can damage the seal on your windows and can lead to decreased efficiency and increased moisture in your home.
If you think you might need new windows, contact the knowledgeable and experienced team at Oakville Windows & Doors for help choosing the best windows for your home!